Thursday, February 26, 2015

RepRap Design

Over the past few weeks, we've been given the opportunity to tinker with these 3D printers known as RepRaps. They are a type of 3D printer that is remarkable by any person that knows these systems. Also, instead of buying a whole contraption to put together, once you have one and know how to use it properly, you can remake a lot of the parts for another one.

The design of these machines vary depending on the builder. However, the one that I've been working with currently, I enjoy. My RepRap design is standard among all of them, including a moderately tall z axis and a descent sized y and x axis. I like my RepRap because its very maneuverable and pleasing to the eye because there is so much going on in one little contraption. Its very simple to use, just a plug and play system, which we've been getting better at using every week. Also, I like the design of mine because it's made of simple parts. Some parts which include a basic motherboard, 3D printed blocks to attach other parts to, four stepping motors, zip ties, rods, and belts.

However, my RepRap does have two downfalls to it, being the tip or extruder and the bed. Our extruder is slow compared to most. In this I mean it just takes a while for it to heat up, which it needs to so every time you print. Also, once it is heated up to the correct temp., it likes to jump around a little to much and start to create smoke during the printing process. The only problem with the bed is that it's small. I would enjoy to print many things, but with the bed on it currently, the choices are limited.

If I were to do anything to my RepRap, I would first, get a new extruder. One that heats quickly and is very accurate. Also, I would follow that up by getting a bigger sized bed and expanding how far, left and right, the extruder can travel. In similar terms, just making the RepRap a little bigger. Along with that, I would also try to figure out a way to code the extruder to angle itself. If this would be possible, the amount of objects that could be printed with accuracy would be incredible. Maybe we wouldn't have to worry about angles bigger than 45 degrees or how any angle would turn out to begin with. Currently, there is no design on the market for what I have in mind.

We might modify 3D printers to someday print food or medicine. I was doing some research and saw that food has been produced using additive manufacturing starting in 2012. Also, medicine is currently being tested on the printers, but they would do so by using chemical inks. Pretty cool stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment