Sunday, March 22, 2015

Citizen Science and The Zooniverse

On Zooniverse, I find the monitoring of Chicago's wildlife and exploring the red planet interesting. However, I find sorting out sunspots on the sun no so intriguing.
For the monitoring of Chicago's wildlife, pictures are posted everyday in which random people, such as me, go through these pictures and determine what animals are in the pictures and species and so on. With many people doing this, you get accurate results in a quick amount of time. Also, it helps the community if Chicago know what they are living around. However, it also helps the people looking at the pictures for multiple reasons. For one, just understanding what animals are around in certain areas of the US and also how these animals interact or live in certain environments. According to the website, this research is only 25% complete and could use more help to finish.
Once reading over the information about the red planet, I thought it was intriguing. For this research, individuals such as me, identify fans or blotches on the surface of mars through images that were taken over time. By doing this, scientist will be able to predict weather on the surface of mars which can help everyone on our planet. By knowing what it's like on other planets, maybe it will be possible to someday identify life forms or anything of that source there if we know that the planet is in livable conditions. Also we will be able to see the clear differences of Mars compared to Earth. It's pretty interesting to think what life forms or anything is out there in space.
To me, I don't think looking at sunspots on the sun's surface would be very interesting to me. I know it could possibly help scientist tell how the sun's magnetic affect impacts us on earth, but I'm just not interested in that kind of monotonous work.

No comments:

Post a Comment